Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Easy Chimichangas & Mexican Rice by Alex

So I just started doing Weight Watchers...and to be quite frank...it is so discouraging looking at their cook books because I really really don't want to make all those fancy dancy meals they have in that book! I want to make some yumm-o food but just use alternative things and eat better portions. And not a meal that is going to take me forever to make considering I have a 2 year old running around the kitchen while she touches everything and yells "HOT!" Well yesterday I was looking through the Weight Watchers Ready, Set, Go! Cookbook and I came across this recipe and I decided to give it a try! So here we go!

Ingredients
1/2 pound ground lean beef (5% fat or less
1 onion, finely chipped
1 garlic clove, minced
2 teaspoons chili powder
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1 (8-ounce) can no-salt added tomato sauce
1/2 cup shredded reduced-fat pepper Jack cheese
4 (8-inch) whole wheat flour tortillas, warmed



1. Lightly spray nonstick baking sheet with nonstick spray. (I personally just put a sheet of foil on a cookie sheet)
2. To make filling, spray medium nonstick skillet with nonstick spray and set over medium-high heat. And beef, onion, garlic, chili powder, and oregano; cook breaking beef apart with wooden spoon, until browned, about 6 minutes.  Stir in tomato sauce and bring to boil. Reduce heat and simmer until flavors are blended and mixture is slightly thickened, about 5 minutes. Remove skillet from heat and stir in pepper Jack.
3. Spoon about 1/2 cup of filing down the center of each tortilla.(I used a 1/2 measuring cup and it made exactly enough for 4 chimichangas) Fold in sides and roll up to enclose filling. Place chimichangas, seam side down, on prepared baking sheet. Lightly spray tops with nonstick spray.(I didn't do this & they still came out yummy!) Bake until crisp and golden, about 20 minutes. (it doesn't specify at all what degree to bake at so I just did good ol' 350 and they came out great)

My Chimichanga rolling skills aren't the best either! :)

nom nom nom can't wait to eat those!!

Ok so right after I put those in the oven I started the rice. Here are all the ingredients



1 cup of long grain white rice
2 teaspoons of oil(you can use olive or veggie)
1 tablespoon of Garlic Powder
1 tablespoon of Ground Cumin
1 tablespoon of Caldo de Tomate
1 tablespoon of Caldo de Pollo
2 1/2 cups of hot water(it meassured 4 but I didn't use all of it)


I added the oil and the rice and I browned it. It is up to you on how much you would like to brown it.
Once you brown it, add in the water and seasonings and bring to a simmer.
Add salt to your tasting and cover for 15-20 minutes or until the water is absorbed. DO NOT TAKE THE LID OFF DURING THAT TIME! If you take the lid off and stir it you will make your rice mushy. 

Once everything was done, I put it on a nice little paper plate & we dug in! :)


The WW Points are 7 pts for the Chimichanga and 7 pts for a cup of rice...so I vouched for 1/2 a cup! :) total was 10.5! Not too bad for a yummy meal!


No comments:

Post a Comment