Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Paula Deen's Grilled Tilapia with Peach BBQ Sauce by Melissa

I wanted to try something new for my Tilapia rather than just seasoning and throwing on the grill - which is good, too - so I tried this Paula Deen's Peach BBQ Sauce found here. I hope you will all be inspired to go find a "designer" recipe and try it, too. It was fun! Report your results back here so we can all try it!

Peach BBQ sauce:
3/4 cup ketchup
3 tablespoons prepared mustard
1/2 cup oil
1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
Pinch garlic salt
3 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
2 teaspoons paprika
1/4 cup lemon juice
1 teaspoon pepper
3 tablespoons brown sugar
3/4 cup water
1/2 cup onions, finely chopped
2 cups fresh or canned peaches

Mix all but the peaches in a skillet over medium heat for about 15-20 minutes (I did it at least 20 minutes). Meanwhile, puree the peaches. Once the sauce is cooked, stir in pureed peaches.

I used about 10 frozen tilapia filets, thawed. It makes a LOT of sauce, so, unless you plan on freezing 3/4 of it, I suggest halfing the recipe. Also, the sauce is hard to get the oil and vinegar to mix in with the rest of the ingredients. Perhaps half of each of those and water would make it a little thicker also.

I seasoned the filets with salt, pepper, and garlic powder and then sprayed a sheet of foil and put the fish on top and then put the fish on the grill. Once the fish were about a minute away from being done, I basted them with the bbq sauce. I saved about 3/4 c. to pour on after they were cooked as well.

I also decided to try my own hush puppies! They were sooooo yummy!! I didn't have any corn meal so I used a box of Jiffy cornbread mix instead.

Hush Puppies
1 box Jiffy cornbread mix
1/2 finely chopped onion (I cheated and used the chopper)
1 tsp. garlic powder, salt, pepper, Tony's Chachere's, paprika
1 tbsp. horseradish mustard

Mix all ingredients together. Get out your Fry Daddy, let it heat up, and then drop spoonfools into the hot grease. Let them reach a light golden brown on each side and then pull out with a slotted spoon. Drain on a paper plate covered with paper towels. They were excellent!

You can serve another vegetable with the fish and hush puppies to balance out your meal. I served a can of green beans.

Sorry there are no pictures. I got going really quickly and completely forgot!

No comments:

Post a Comment